Driver’s License and State IDs

cars in traffic

To obtain a duplicate Alaska Driver License, or Alaska State ID, you must prove the following elements: your full legal name, identity, date of birth, lawful status in the United States, social security number, and proof of residential address.

There are four steps to obtaining an Alaska Driver License or Alaska State ID:

  1. Fill out form 478 listed below under "Drivers License Application"
  2. Provide two pieces of identification
  3. Pass a vision test
  4. Have a new photo taken for your ID

See below for more information about each of the steps in this process.

Driver License and Alaska ID Application

You must complete Form 478 (Driver License Application) in order to apply for your Alaska Driver License or Alaska State ID.


You must provide two forms of identification. All documents presented must be unaltered certified originals, certified amended originals, or true copies certified by the issuing agency. Documents must be valid and unexpired and may not be laminated. Foreign documents must have certified English translation.

All documents presented must be unaltered certified originals, certified amended originals, or true copies certified by the issuing agency. Documents must be valid and unexpired and may not be laminated.

Acceptable Forms of Identification

A full list of primary and secondary documents can be found on the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles website.

Primary Identification Documents

The following documents are acceptable for proving legal name and date of birth. If the applicant’s legal name is different from what is printed on their primary document, they will need to provide proof of the name change. Choose one that applies to you. 

  • An original or certified copy of a U.S. Birth Certificate (From Vital Statistics)
  • U.S. passport (must be current)
  • U.S. passport card, Issued by Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
  • An Alaska learner’s permit, driver license or State Identification card.
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • U.S. Government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Passport issued from another country including Canada, with appropriate immigration documents.
  • I-551 – Residence Alien Card issued since 1997. * I-688A or B – Employment Authorization
  • I-766 – Employment Authorization
  • SEVIS I-20 Form (Signed by school in Alaska) with valid foreign passport and visa.
  • REAL ID compliant ID or license from a state that has fully complied with the “REAL ID Act”. A REAL ID compliant ID or license will have a circle with a star. Check your ID Guide for examples. (Additional documentation will be required to prove citizenship and lawful status.)
Secondary Identification Documents

Secondary identification documents are meant to give customers another set of documents to use to prove identity. For information on requirements to obtain an original driver’s license, permit or identification card, see Primary Identification Documents. Choose one that applies to you. 

  • All primary documents
  • Social Security Card
  • Canadian Tribal Card
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs card or an Indian Treaty Card. (Some tribal cards are more reliable than the BIA card. DMV’s can make their own determination.)
  • State issued Driver license or ID card that has NOT been expired over a year.
  • Court order that does not contain the applicant’s date of birth.
  • Photographic employer identification card.
  • Foreign birth certificate.
  • Foreign passport.
  • Health insurance card [Such as Blue Cross/Shield, Aetna, or a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO)].
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or state tax form.
  • Marriage license or certificate.
  • Individual’s medical records from a doctor or a hospital.
  • Military dependent identification.
  • Military discharge or separation papers. (DD214) 16. For minors only, Parent or guardian affidavit. The parent or guardian must appear in person and prove their identity and submit a certified or notarized affidavit regarding the child’s identity.
  • Gun permit.
  • Pilot’s license.
  • Certified school record or transcript.
  • Photographic school identification card.
  • Vehicle title. A vehicle registration is not acceptable.
  • Welfare card
  • Prison release document or photographic prison identification card (See LP-2090).
  • Voter Registration Card
  • TWIC Card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential)
  • Verification of ALVIN information with OL Photo

Pass a Vision Test

A test is required of each driver to determine visual acuity before any license or permit is issued. This includes original, renewal, and duplicate licenses. A tele binocular device is used to check vision. If you normally wear corrective lenses, bring them with you when you apply for any type of license.

In lieu of the vision test, you may submit a certified statement from a licensed physician or optometrist stating that your vision meets or exceeds the department’s standards.

Vision Test Standards

To qualify you must have, in each eye or with both eyes together, at least 20/40 vision.

If you need corrective lenses in order to qualify, you must wear them while driving.

If you fail to qualify because you are unable to see well, you will be denied a license or permit until you are able to qualify.

New Photo for ID

Your picture will be taken after all requirements for a license or permit have been successfully completed. When obtaining a photograph for your driver’s license, all hats and head coverings, sunglasses, hair, and theatrical makeup must be removed. Head coverings for religious or medical reasons may remain, but must be moved above the forehead to allow a full facial picture to be taken.

Give us a call!

If you have any questions, please feel free to call us or you can send us an email using our online contact form.