Alaska Real ID

Alaska Real ID

What is REAL ID?

Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards.  These purposes are:

  • Accessing Federal facilities
  • Boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft
  • Entering nuclear power plants

Beginning October 1, 2021, the Department of Homeland Security requires your driver license (DL) or identification (ID) card be REAL ID compliant if you wish to use it as identification to board a domestic flight or enter military bases and most federal facilities.

To prepare customers, the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has created an interactive checklist to provide you with the documents you will need to apply for a Alaska REAL ID driver license or ID card.

Want to apply for an Alaska Real ID?

To be issued an Alaska Real ID driver license, permit or ID card, you must demonstrate the following three things:

  1. Prove who you are
  2. Prove your SSN belongs to you
  3. Prove where you live

List of Additional Documents to Apply for Alaska Real ID

If you have difficulty finding documents to meet the criteria above, please review the list below for alternative documents.

Address Verification Documents for a parent can be used for a minor child. If the minors last name is different from the parent, you must provide legal documents showing the reason for the difference. Examples would be marriage license, divorce decree, legal name change etc.

Still have questions about Alaska Real ID?

See our Frequently Asked Questions below.

Give us a call!

If you have any questions, please feel free to call us or you can send us an email using our online contact form.